It is interesting as we continue the debate within the church around who can and cannot be called by God. It is interesting because we have merged The Academy and the Spiritual. Yet where has it left us in the West?
With a cleric shortage, and a restoration movement underway. Think of what has brought us to this point:
The original Apostles (those who broke the ground) were tradesmen; harlots; unwed mums, sex abuse survivors, tax collectors, fishermen, terrorists, and mass murderers…
Yet as time progressed we became “official” and in becoming official we moved into needing licenses, more than the story and the Holy Spirit…trusting in God that whatever our calling is in our lives God is the one that called us, the community affirms and lifts us up (for it takes a community church to raise up a follower of The Way of Jesus of Nazareth).
Notice that there is no real academic requirements, no need for a bible college degree, or a seminary degree or even as the Reformers of the 15th Century were a “doctor of the church” or in depth theologian. But this is where we went post Constantine as we advanced forward we became more radically structured. Those that did not fit the “orthodoxy” or “orthopraxy” where declared “heretics” and eliminated.
As we moved forward we shaped an educational training program that stipulated one must have this academic acuity; be free of mental illness; be “typically developing”, have a penis, in some instances be of the nation of the national church, be heterosexual, have one wife and children (or when the church was realizing it was losing too much control pre-reformation, divorce their wife and cast their children out into the cold).
Yet as we watch each of the institutional norms has been pushed over, late 1800’s to mid-1900’s if you had a vagina it was realized God could call you to the ministry (note we knew this before Constantine, and it was even recorded in the New Testament). That the Holy Spirit would empower us to do things even greater than what Jesus accomplished.
Those who experience the world without sight or sound have received the call. If you have been divorced it is a-ok. As long as you are homosexual and willing to swear off companionship–sure—or maybe we should say yes…Those with developmental disabilities serving the sacraments and praying…the differently abled coming into fruition in the community…
Amazing how during this reformation we are seeing the academics of the church institution struggling for enrollment and making ends meet, yet at the heart of the matter is that there are many within the institution trusting within the Holy Spirit. This trust is leading to a removal of labels, a realization of what it means to live in a Trinitarian style community based around the Trinitarian Great Commandment of loving God with our everything, loving our neighbour as ourselves. This community created by God, Called by Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit to form itself on what this deep love and justice means.
This is where the reformation is leading us, as an institution struggles there are many that are just opening themselves to the Spirit, and yes, the changes that are happening in the labelless church is a blessing. For we truly only see the beloved of God, the beloved that on the 6th day God called very good and blessed; when he turned us out of paradise clothed us, loved us, gave us creation to build paradise in.
Lets as a people choose to live in this Spirit of inclusion, hope, love, and justice.
- Does Someone Have to Lay Hands on Me to Receive the Holy Spirit? (askthepastors.wordpress.com)
- The Holy Spirit – By Arthur W. Pink (searchandtrace.wordpress.com)
- Merger or Takeover…does it save the Church? (tyragan.wordpress.com)
- The Mission of the Church (crt010304.wordpress.com)
- Talking Pentecostalism | Pentecostal belief, the Holy Spirit & Evangelicalism (revivalandreformation.wordpress.com)
- Chapter 9 – “Behold … let it be done unto me…” (fanningtheflame.wordpress.com)
- The Coming of the Holy Spirit (brakeman1.com)
- Pentecost… Broke A Few Barriers (scripturenuggets.wordpress.com)
- Does Someone Have to Lay Hands on Me to Receive the Holy Spirit? (jdylanparker.wordpress.com)
- Keep your identity (evanlaar2012.wordpress.com)
- The Oneness Pentecostal “Jesus Trick” (airocross.com)
- Update: USA Ordinariate Calendar (hughosb.wordpress.com)
- Would the historical Jesus of Nazareth really have been named Jesus of Nazareth? (vridar.wordpress.com)
- Brazil. The Pentecost of Father Marcelo (chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it)
- At the world’s hottest church (life.nationalpost.com)
- Pentecost Praise and Confirmation at the Cathedral (bpdt.wordpress.com)
- TERM PAPER PART 8–Universalism in Negros: Story of An Accidental Apostle (ironicschmoozer.wordpress.com)
- Is Evangelicalism a Cult? (fidlerten.com)
- Marcelo Rossi: the Singing Priest Who’s Setting Brazil on Fire (deaconjohnspace.wordpress.com)
- – The Measure of Eternity’s Impression (revivalandreformation.wordpress.com)
- Unknown Artist. The Descent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles at Pentecost. The Benedictional of Archbishop Robert. New Minster (Winchester ENGLAND) circa 980 (05varvara.wordpress.com)
- The Samaritan Pentecost (thingspaulandluke.wordpress.com)
- The Samaritan Pentecost (smoodock45.wordpress.com)
- The Changing Church… (tyragan.wordpress.com)
- IRD Asks: Will Pentecostals Turn Against Israel? (faithinspires.wordpress.com)
- Looking for a Lynchpin! (christinacli.wordpress.com)
- The Ancient Paths (instrument-rated-theology.com)
- Sacred Sunday. It’s a new day. (minimustardseed.wordpress.com)
- Gonzaga center Robert Sacre is big presence, bigger personality (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Acts 2: They Begin to Get It (kingdomnewtestament.wordpress.com)
- turn ~ A Sacred Assembly for Men (barefootpreachr.org)
- Sacred Heart Women Open Tournament Against Georgia Tech (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Mona Lisa – Da Vinci’s Use of Sacred Geometry (themonalisablog.wordpress.com)
- National Sport: Super Sacre blitzes Arkle rivals (coventrytelegraph.net)
- ‘Film star’ Sacre could kick off week with scene-stealing run (independent.co.uk)
- 21st Century Apostolic (face2facegduffty.wordpress.com)