And all the gathered say… Amen… or do they?
Recently there has been an ancient papyrus discovered that highlights the “fact” that Jesus of Nazareth had a bride. So did he? Well he was a good Jewish boy from small town Nazareth, so why wouldn’t he? And more importantly why does it matter?
Simple, if Jesus was married, and had little ones then according to ancient marriage practices it means Jesus had S-E-X- yes you read that right. Sexual intercourse with all the gooey squirts, grunts and sweats. If the marriage is true then it truly shakes the Orthodox Christianities (the winners of the theological and physical wars) to their core, because they have to rethink their entire theology of sexuality, purity, and their understanding of marriage. As well for those churches that practice celibacy, it means a rethinking of that all together.
But more importantly, and this is something that some commentators may or may not have caught. If Jesus was married, then St. Augustine‘s concept of original sin, the idea that the eating of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of Good and evil, cast us out of the garden, and caused our DNA to change to the point we are born evil, and through sex (which is also evil) this sin is passed into our genetic pool–
Well, if the Cosmic Christ, the ever living Messiah, was married…well then guess what that means for original sin. That’s right, it is a heresy, and one that needs to be exorcised from the church and replaced with what truly happened in the Garden. A parent letting their children learn and grow, move out into the world, journey with them but no longer being their primary protector. Very much a theology of lifespan development for a creation that is blessed and called very good.
Yes, why does it matter whether or not Jesus was married? Because if he was, all the old men scared of sex and the goodness there in, have to admit they were: W-R-O-N-G, and embrace the true original blessing and the beauty of a loving, committed, sexual relationship as Solomon praised in the words of Song of Solomon (Songs).
For your walk, is your Messiah celibate? Married? Family man?
- Yeshua or Jesus (zionistoutrage.com)
- Ancient reference to ‘Jesus wife’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Early Christians believed Jesus wed (capitalfm.co.ke)
- So you must be Mrs Christ… (recoveringagnostic.wordpress.com)
- Scholar: Ancient Text Mentions Jesus’ Wife (newsfeed.time.com)
- James Ossuary Passed a Test for Authenticity. (greatriversofhope.wordpress.com)
- Yoshke of Nazareth (theuglytruth.wordpress.com)
- Jesus’ Wife Cited on 4th-Century Papyrus Fragment (bloomberg.com)
- ‘Jesus wife’ papyrus blasted as ‘forgery’ (wnd.com)
- Mrs. Jesus Christ (kottke.org)