Okay a new week, and a new motion from a CONs back bencher. At first blush it appears different than the “when life begins” motion that even the Prime Minister voted against (even if 10 of his cabinet and half his caucus did not).
Now, another CONs backbencher has tabled a motion that at first glance seems a no brainer in the world of the abortion debate… simply put that an abortion of an unborn child (fetus/zygote, insert your own term here) shalt not be performed based on the fact that Mummy/Daddy to-be dislike the gender of the child. Read full article here.
Makes sense right? Yet it opens up the rights of all involved about choice. Is abortion good? No. The reasons an abortion are chosen are many fold: rape, incest, economic, familial, gender, birth control, disability, disease, mother and/or child health, etc (and yes, these same reasons for someone else may actually empower the family to keep the child. This is not an easy black and white equation)… when one chooses to go down this path we do not know what the reasons are, they are in the family’s heart and soul. The purpose of publicly funded and available abortions through health care is not why this path has been chosen.
The rationale is simple, it is a devastating choice for all invovled, but it is more devastating when the abortion is performed in unlicensed clinics, or aborted through ingestions of poison, or the abuse of others/self. These methodologies more often than not lead to the death of the mother as well, so then two lives are lost. It is about reducing of harm to the mother, and hopefully the child. When done properly also includes before and after counselling and reconciliation work.
So this brings us to this motion? Is it good? At first blush, yes it is and quite common sense. But sadly it crosses the line of harm reduction for these procedures and as such is a motion that needs to be voted down.
Will there ever be a time I would come out in support of the ending of publicly funded abortions? Possibly, but then the living Body of Christ would need to have built a world where every child conceived is not only wanted, but loved, and able to live a fruitful life free of abuse.
- Backbencher’s ‘abortion motion’ defeated 203 to 91 (ctvnews.ca)
- ‘A sad day for Canada’ (macleans.ca)
- MPs to vote on backbencher’s ‘abortion’ motion (ctvnews.ca)
- Anti-abortion MPs feeling emboldened despite parliamentary defeat (o.canada.com)
- Anti-abortion MPs feeling emboldened despite parliamentary defeat (canada.com)
- John Ivison: Kenney defies PM over abortion motion as leadership jockeying begins (fullcomment.nationalpost.com)
- Motion doesn’t breach PM’s pledge not to reopen abortion debate: Woodworth (sunnewsnetwork.ca)
- How many abortions are for the health of the mother? (geneveith.com)
- Fetal Sex Tests Prompt Selective Abortion Fears (blogs.lawyers.com)
- Canadian Parliament Declines to Reopen Abortion Debate (lawprofessors.typepad.com)