Who knew when I followed this calling that it would be so serendipitous. What is that you say? Well, Pope Benedict XVI the hardest working Pontiff to regress the Roman Catholic Church has decided to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Reformation (a.k.a Vatican II) by declaring a year of faith and new evangelization. What does this mean?
My sabbatical journey began this summer (okay it began longer than that, but I like to fight God). It came with a gusting of the Holy Spirit to quit being a fence sitter. You see, I was comfortable in my vocation at The Mustard Seed, at one point I used discernment to attempt to jump into church life…yet God answered by a Job like situation where the church that nurtured me back into structured religion attacked my children and my Poppa Bear instincts reared up and I walked away.
I took this as a sign that the Seed was to be my life vocation, this was forgetting vocation is more than just a pay cheque or an employer. It is the soul call of God upon your life, it is a journey of life. It was also forgetting what I have begun to call the rule of 3rds. Traditionally we live our life in thirds. The formation years are the first 30, the next 30 is a new adventure and the last 30 is centered on ending well and preparing the next generation (okay that last one is ongoing, but I think you are getting the point).
I am in the midst of my 2/3. I am a father of two blessed children, a husband to a wife that I truly do not know why she is with me. Yet I am called to be a co-journeyer with individuals at the time of discovery (to make my own little corner of this world a little better) and transformation. So yes as a family we took the leap of faith and I went back to Northwestern to complete my Master of Divinity, with a thesis on why Mary of Nazareth matters…and then onto my chaplaincy training.
Yet as I returned to Mass with my hunny, as we knelt for the prayers, for the Novena and adoration of the sacred heart, as we meditated and sat in the silence and then the priest announced the coming of the year of faith. He spoke about intrinsic and extrinsic faith. Extrinsic being one who lives out the works of Christ in the world out of fear of Hell, yet there is that deepening of faith, of intrinsic worth where the mystery of the Holy is in communion with us. This is my prayer for all of us during this year that we will discover the intrinsic faith and by residing within we will authentically transform our world, we will authentically disciple young and old alike to truly be the Body of the Cosmic Christ here on earth.
The idea that my sabbatical year started off with a leap of faith, and then the coming of the year of faith during it, which brought me back to Mass is quite ironic, symbolic, and neither is lost on me during this journey with my family within my household walls and throughout the world.
- Sabbatical: The Missing Link for Churches and Pastors (davidcalves.com)
- “Faith is an antidote to selfishness. Vatican II’s mission is to bring Christ into the world.” (mumbailaity.wordpress.com)
- McCaw’s break ‘could be challenging’ (stuff.co.nz)
- Sabbatical (ehflaw.typepad.com)
- What I Learned During My “Sabbatical” at the MIT Media Lab (Part One) (creativitypost.com)
- Sacrificing the “old goat”… (afruitinseason.wordpress.com)
- Ingredients for a Radical Sabbatical (freehandlife.com)
- In Italy, the sabbatical policy comes to an end (ireport.cnn.com)
- Pope Benedict XVI convenes bishops to confront ‘tsunami’ of secularism – Articles (religionnews.com)
- The mystery of Faith | The Work of the Church. Year of Faith (amhec.wordpress.com)