I know, I know, very few of the Christianities would like their “brand” reduced to nothing more than a twitter hashtag, yet let’s be honest, that is what in the new marketing schemata is what they are attempting to do. What has been my brand allegiance in Canada thus far?
Recently in the midst of a cycle of questioning, and knowing a history within Protestant affiliations of spiritual abuse geared at my family I felt the call back to communion with the Roman Catholic Church. My soul mate and I started attending Mass, and I began prayerfully discerning where I was meant to be. But it was a desire (albeit possibly a selfish one) to travel back into a time that was a blessing for my spiritual development.
Yet like the old proverb, you cannot step in the same river twice. So as I continue on this journey of making a non-sectarian Franciscan it has become evident that there is deep truth within this. There are many blessings within the Mass, liturgy, daily prayers, saints and social initiatives that is the living body of Christ out of Rome. However, one of the greatest blessings for me is the piece of the body that is Franciscans.
It is within the heart of the rule of the Secular Franciscan Order that hit me upon reflection and discernment. Lay Franciscans are called to care for their families as the drive of their vocation.
Wow. Here I was constantly moving the family for what I thought was protecting them, but by not being able to grow deep roots it was leading to a shallow faith. Do I regret any choices to leave churches with my family? No, because it was ultimately to protect them. But I know that in this moment and time re-initiating a journey of catechism for all of us within #RC would not be conducive, my son and daughter partake with us currently in communion of the open table, and they would struggle with losing this piece of their faith experience for the time it took us to become full members.
Besides, currently we are nestled into a rather ecclectic church within our own community, a non-denominational charismatic church joined with a lutheran brethren congregation to share ministry and service to reach out to the community… truly a church moving beyond the hashtag to replace it with the hashtag that truly matters #4Jesusloves.
So are there many things I love within the history and tradition that is #RC? Yes. Has it been a blessing within my journey? Yes, and will continue to be.
BUT and this is the biggie for all believers (as I like to cast my net o’ weirdness wide): the “brand” is irrelevant. What it comes down to is simply the local body and whether or not it is living Christ, making disciples, and aiding discernment of vocation… if this is happening then the Body of Christ is present and the community and individual will be transformed (Salvation).
What’s in a denominational #hashtag?
- Lost London – Greyfriars… (exploringlondon.wordpress.com)
- False Doctrine Is Worse Than Division (ioan17.wordpress.com)
- Saturday (October 20): “The Holy Spirit will teach you what to say” (shechina.wordpress.com)
- G. K. Chesterton and Saint Francis (insightscoop.typepad.com)
- Are You Grateful Of Your Church Family? (jimmygotjesus.com)
- It is false and dangerous to treat freedom as the highest good… (prayerandperspective.com)
- Church can’t revoke Savile knighthood (bigpondnews.com)
- Living Simply in a Complex World (tallskinnykiwi.typepad.com)
- Update on the Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter by Msgr Steenson (frstephensmuts.wordpress.com)
- Senior Catholic cleric: ‘If Jews want respect, they must respect others’ (theuglytruth.wordpress.com)