Some would say during this Sabbatical I was to learn about relying on God. For those who say that, they have never really known me, my life or ministry. Others would say that it is time to reflect on what has come before. The unfortunate part of the contemplative walk is that we spend so much time looking and grieving at where we’ve been that we sometimes miss the blessing in the now or yet to come.
For many in the interview process look at my professional life and say that I could run this agency, why do I want this, what they mistakenly or crassly class, as entry level position. What they miss is the idea of getting to know the culture of an agency, but also there is more to the why answer.
Simply put, it is my wife & kids, my family. Yes titled leadership in a healthy non-profit is awesome, but it can also destroy one’s personal life, and control one’s home life (actually much like being a pastor if one does not create solid boundaries). And is this worth it with my children so young? This loss of the blessing of now with my family, for a title, for a minor remuneration increase?
For my kids to become part of many generations of helping parents who look at their parents and state, you cared more about those you served than us…a statement I never want them to think.
Lent for me, this whole sabbatical life, has been reflecting on the rise of the religion/spirituality of compassion in all its manifestations, yet like the Shema presented by Brother Jesus, it all falls apart if it does not begin with compassion for yourself, your family, friends, and community…then grows our from there.
- A Sabbatical from the Twitters (scatteredsmotheredandcovered.wordpress.com)
- Going on sabbatical…sort of… (girlygirl.typepad.com)
- A Sabbatical from the Twitters (christianokwena.wordpress.com)
- Sabbatical is Over! (chrisdenherder.wordpress.com)
- A Glitter & Grit Sabbatical (glitterandgritgirl.com)
- Child-friendly Sabbaticals? (womeninastronomy.blogspot.com)
- P.Mike’s Sabbatical Plans (ebccrosswalk.wordpress.com)
- So what is a sabbatical? (rectorcanonfodder.wordpress.com)
- WE ARE WHAT WE LOVE – Stocki’s Sermon on “Where Your Treasure Is…” (stocki.typepad.com)
- Sabbatical to Complete Book (reluctantmediumatlarge.wordpress.com)